How Do I Turn Windows Firewall On/Off?
- Click on the Start Menu
- Click on Control Panel
- Click on Security Center
- Click on Windows Firewall toward the bottom the Security Center Window.
- Choosing between the “On” or “Off” will enable or disable the Windows Firewall. If you choose to enable the Firewall, you can further select the “Don’t Allow Exceptions” box, which provides further security but may stop friendly programs on your computer from accessing the Internet.
How Do I Allow a Program to Get Through Windows Firewall?
- Click on the “Exceptions” tab from within The Windows Firewall screen
- Click the “Add Program” button
- Select the program you’re going to allow to access the Internet from the list. If it doesn’t appear there, click on the browse button and locate the program on your hard drive
- Once the program has been selected, click the “OK” button. The new program should now appear on the list in the “Exceptions” tab
Still Won’t Work, What Should I Do?
You might need to open a port in the firewall. A port is like a channel on the radio, you tune your computer to that port and it allows it to talk to the server you’re connecting too. There are standard port channels for different types of connections. SQL Server communicates over ports 1433 and 1434.
IMPORTANT: It’s much safer to open the firewall for a specific program than for a specific port. Open a port only if opening the program has already failed.
- From within the “Exceptions” tab in the Windows Firewall screen, click the “Add Port” button
- Enter port number 1433 in the “Port Number” box (create this port as a TCP and UDP)
- Name the port box with whichever name you choose
- Click the “OK” button
- Follow the same steps for Port 1434